July 20, 2009

Shopping in West Hartford

A couple of weekends ago, I visited my sister and her family in West Hartford, CT and, of course, we did some shopping. The sweet boys (bf, brother-in-law and nephew) actually patiently shopped with me while my sister was working. :) If you're ever in West Hartford, here are my top picks. We mainly shopped around the Town Center and I have one essential stop-off a little outside of the city, worth the 20 minute drive.

Town Center:
1. Homeward Bound: This was probably my favorite store in the area. They have a few racks of clothes and an adorable kid section but the best part of this spot is the furniture. I loved it! It was all very unique with somewhat of a vintage feel. Great chairs, couches, desks and an adorable little vanity that I'm still dreaming about - it would make my mornings just a little more fabulous. The store even offers home design services.

2. National Jean Company: You'll also find locations of this chain in Bethesda and Reston for those of you in the DC area. They remind me a little bit of Cusp with a great selection of the denim brands you're used to seeing, familiar brands such as Ella Moss and Juicy, and then little surprises every once in a while. When I was there in Hartford, I discovered a new-to-me line called Nieves Lavi that I kept gravitating toward.

3. Kimberly Boutique: This is a tiny boutique but worth stopping into. They carry a range of prices and brands from BCBG to Tulle. I even saw a dress by Paramita, a very unique Spanish brand I haven't seen in years, although I'm starting to think I imagined it because I can't find anything about the brand online now.

4. Ten Thousand Villages: When I just looked up this store, I discovered it has tons of locations, including Austin, TX and Alexandria, VA. Who knew? I'd never heard of it before. They carry all kinds of great handmade gifts and home decor pieces representing cultures of artisans in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. And to make it even better, they are one of the largest fair trade organizations in the world. If you shop online, you can see pictures and bios of the artisans who make the goods from countries like Peru and Haiti.


South Windsor
5. Francesca's Collections: Francesca's has been one of my and my sisters' favorite boutique chains in Texas for years. We love to browse all the jewelry and very reasonably priced clothing. I picked up this adorable navy dress for only $38! But we had no idea it was a national chain. We were thrilled to discover this one near West Hartford. It's located in an outdoor shopping area that is worth the trip with neighbor stores such as Anthropologie.

No comments: