May 4, 2009

Style: A to Zoe

I just read Rachel Zoe's Style: A to Zoe and really enjoyed it.  Her idea of living everyday with glamour is why I do what I do.  Wearing and surrounding yourself with beautiful things really does make you happier and wearing things that inspire you is a wonderful form of creative expression.  Zoe explains: "Sure, as with fashion and beauty or any other aesthetics, the pursuit of glamour is not going to save the world...[but] a life of glamour and style makes everything that much more electifying, that much more engaging."  Sometimes you just need something to inspire you, to energize you and wearing beautiful clothes is an easy way to achieve that everyday.  Zoe describes how she got into the business: "I was just out of college, where I majored in sociology and psychology.  Naturally, I went right into fashion."  That line made me smile as someone with degrees in finance and psychology, I often get a raised eyebrow when I say I work in fashion now.  I don't think it's a coincidence though, that Rachel and I both studied psychology.  There is actually a lot of psychology involved in dressing someone else.

The book goes on to cover not only fashion but how to be glamourous in your travels, in decorating your home and while entertaining.  There is quite a bit of name dropping of her famous clients and friends but it's somehow less pretentious than you would think.  You can tell Zoe has worked hard to get where she is and it's OK to be proud of that.  There are tons of tips and inspiring pictures but most of all, her point of view just inspires you to make your everyday life a little bit more glamourous, a little bit more stylish, a little bit better.  I checked the book out from the library but may have to purchase it as a reference when I need a little inspiration or to remind myself why I do what I do, even if it is somewhat superficial.

No comments: