May 11, 2009

Valentino: The Last Emperor

Last week, I saw Valentino: The Last Emperor, the Valentino documentary.  There wasn't quite as much depth as I was anticipating, but I enjoyed the movie nonetheless.  I think it's a movie most enjoyed by those not only interested in fashion, but interested in the business of fashion.  Valentino is a very interesting man.  He seems to most often be a little crabby, demanding and self-centered.  But then you catch brief moments when he melts into an excited child as one of his designs becomes a beautiful dress.  No matter what his attitude is, it is inspiring to see what this man has accomplished and at 80+ is still going strong.  My favorite lines uttered by Valentino in the documentary: "I love beauty, it's not my fault...I know what women want, they want to be beautiful."  Valentino has devoted his life to creating beauty at any cost: you will see the amount of people and seamstresses it takes to create a single dress.  He has also created a life in which he is constantly surrounded by beauty as you see him and his posse hop from gorgeous chateau to chateau on his chic private plane along with all his little doggies.

No comments: